Tuesday, July 15, 2014

A Web of Relations


   Everyone has a story. Today, I intertwined mine with that of Brisley, a little boy (you remember the one with I last blogged about with the 104 fever, worms, and stomach?). He won't remember me. But I'll remember him. He was diagnosed with worms as well as a perforated bowel. His survival rate post-op? 10%. During the surgery he went into cardiac arrest. The doctors removed a significant section of his bowel.
     He survived.
     But he needed blood. Enter me.
     The next morning after his surgery, I went with three others to donate blood for him. And during the process, I began to pass out. I knew what has happening to my body: the nausea and faintness, the loss of hearing, the loss of vision. But the kids face kept flashing in front of me so I kept squeezing the ball. Each pump got harder. But Brisley. His life. Eventually my body forced me to stop and the nurses splashed water on me to get me back to full consciousness but my goal was complete: I had given enough blood for donation. I felt fine 5 minutes after. But Brisley won't feel better for months.
     In fact, he needs another surgery but the money isn't there. So, here's a question. Will you consider donating to Brisley? The cost of the surgery is $800 U.S. -- in the U.S. it would cost thousands upon thousands. If you're interested, please email me at: loswald1@vols.utk.edu. Why not intertwine your story with Brisley's? Or donate at: https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/2p8Cd
     That's all I have to say for this blog. Today was supposed to be a beach day but it wasn't. Instead, I was given the incredible opportunity to cross life-story paths with that of Brisley.    
     The photos are of Brisley pre&post-op.

xxLeah

No comments:

Post a Comment