Friday, July 4, 2014

It's A Crazy World

     Disclaimer: I know that the photo of the little girl is sidewise but I can't figure out how to rotate it because I don't understand Macs! There. It was said. A young person doesn't understand Apple products/computers. I know, that's practically blasphemy these days. Oh well, sue me. Now moving on . . .
     Honestly? Sometimes it is hard to see the good in people. Today I visited an
 orphanage which appalled me. However, the Haitian government considers this orphanage and the woman who runs it to be top-notch. I'll leave that up to you, here are the details: there are 24 kids, all of which sleep in a room that is no bigger than two-average sized bathrooms combined (meaning, when one kid gets sick, they all do), they have a fungal infection running rampant (due to their sleeping arrangements almost all the kids have it), they eat food! . . . but only one time a day (meanwhile, the woman who runs the place --as well as her family--are quite, umm, how should I put it?, very well fed). The woman complains about a lack of money but honestly I don't care for any metaphors, illusions, etc., but let's just call that a bold face lie. She gets the money but she spends it on her own kids while the orphans starve--because that's what is happening. A penny for your thoughts on her? Of course there are worse places, but this was pretty abysmal--you could see the pain in their eyes.
     But! There is a plan in progress by a local Christian man here to get the kids adopted out and then shut down her program. I only hope that some of the kids don't die waiting for that to happen. But not all is gloom and doom. You see that
woman I'm standing beside? Her name is Yasmine,  she's a Haitian nurse who works with Mickey and Liz. She is a angel (although her medical skills need a bit brushing up on. . . ). She literally will sit down with these kids and practically force feed them if she has to, anything to make sure they eat. It's a horrible yet wonderful sight to see.
    Well, so far I've had an incredible experience and I'm sure there is much more to come. Thanks for sticking with me through all of this, readers. And, if you are American, then Happy 4th of July to you!
Prendrez-soin
xxLeah

No comments:

Post a Comment