Sunday, July 13, 2014

In, Out, And In, Out

     That's the mantra I slowly mentally intone to myself as I'm driving on the streets of Port-Au-Prince (PAP) and Carrefour. The air is thick with burning oil and plastic, casting the city in a semi-haze. The smells assault you like an old-friend-turned-enemy. But I must keep breathing so I keep chanting my mantra of 'in, out, and in, out'. These were my thoughts before and after this morning's church service in PAP. But I wouldn't stay put and forego the church service because getting out into town can make a massive mental difference.
     On a more positive note, after the church service we went to pick up a dresser and the man who was selling it was from Knoxville! How small is the world? Answer: pretty dang small. He actually has visited my home town of Oak Ridge and we talked about the local book stores--a nice little reminder of something to look forward to upon my return. Also, I got hit on the head by an almond that fell from the tree. That woke me up. Another amusing thing that happened is that Becca--if you remember, she's the other 'intern' here from Rhode Island--bought a bag of spinach for $12. Obviously this was an accident because she didn't realize how much it cost but I sincerely doubt she'll ever make that mistake again.
     Alright, now that I've regaled you with some amusing stories, here's an example of how daily life in Haiti is full of the unexpected. You see that boy in the photo? He came to our house in the middle of a day (we weren't having clinic or anything, just working at home) with this litany of problems: 104 fever, 3.6 glucose count --12 is considered normal and 6 critical--, a distended stomach, and had been puking worms. Thoughts? Mickey and Liz did as much as possible before sending him to the hospital. We were all anxious. His results? His organs are completely switch around on the opposite side of his body as well as having intestinal blockage. After obtaining some blood, the boy will have surgery and hopefully be okay. And this isn't the first child they've seen like this and nor will it be the last in all likelihood. Something Becca said really seems apt to Haiti: Haiti is heart-breaking and breath-taking. So true.
     Well, on that cheery note, I'll head off now! I hope all is well on the homestead--where ever that may be.
xxLeah

No comments:

Post a Comment