Monday, July 21, 2014

Warning: This Is Not A Feel-Happy Post

  Guess what folks?!? I have malaria! I haven't felt very good the past few days but last night was even more so of an exception. I woke up at 3am shaking and shivering--now, that shouldn't happen in Haiti. Now here's the stupid part: I wasn't going to say anything about feeling poopy. Becca (the other girl here), however, convinced me to take care of myself. Therefore, I told Mickey and Liz I wasn't feeling super duper and then quickly got tested for malaria and the test was positive.
     But here's the thing: as much as you might want to slap me for ignoring my symptoms for days so many people in Haiti do just that. At the lab center where I got my test (oh sorry, did the word 'lab' give you an image of a clean building? Scratch that. It was a falling apart concrete building with sheets hung up as walls) there was a woman who had taken a fall. She was sitting stiff with her legs and core not moving but she was having a seizure. Here's the killer thing though: she ended up going home because "it wasn't that bad". What?! What Becca inadvertently reminded me of is that our body is our temple. We need to take care of ourselves and it's just sad when people do not possess the resources to take care of themselves.
     It's horrible that we live in a world of such inequality but hey, that's life! Oh, do I sound callous? Sorry, maybe it's because my heart has broken just one too many times in seeing Haitians unable to care for themselves. But no, it is horrible. So be thankful that you're sitting pretty in your home reading this and thank the Lord that he's given you so much--but remember, He also told us to take care of the poor, children, and widows. Speaking of taking care of children . . .
****Do you remember Brisley?? If not, please check out my blog from July 15!!!! I've launched a fundraising campaign and would love it if you would consider donating. If you have questions about it, feel free to leave a question in the comment section or email me at: loswald1@vols.utk.edu.
To donate, copy&paste the link: https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/2p8Cd 
Also, please share this with as many people as you know. Please!****

    **This paragraph of the blog was added in later and that's why it doesn't flow as much**: You know what? My friend--shout out to Hannah Clark!--just reminded me of something that makes me cry (literally, I'm crying right now). All of this poverty, all of this illnesses, all of it--somehow, it is and will glorify God. I'm not sure how but I need to remember that it does. It's not that the actual suffering and pain is glorifying, but it's how we respond and act in it that is capable of giving glory. This is His plan, not mine and ultimately that gives me so much assurance and peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment