Thursday, July 3, 2014

Another Day, Another Opportunity

     Every day, I have opportunities to engage people and it's up to me to take those chances. Of course, knowing the language would help but that's really not an obstacle.
    Today I went to the other clinic here that Mickey and Liz run but in Bwajoit. It was emotionally draining. The kids just look . . . sick. But there's something more than that, you just know in your heart that some of these kids won't be alive next week--and they know it, too--their eyes tell you that. Yet they're resigned to their fate. They've accepted that life has felt them a crappy hand and that's what is hardest to witness. However, not all is woe. When a kid comes in that the program has worked miracles for, instead of sinking, the heart leaps and it makes the world go around again.
     On some random side notes:
     You know what's funny? Haitians do not like my nose-piercing. They have an obsession with keeping their faces/bodys 'clean' of marks. I spoke with a Haitian for about 40 minutes about his culture and why my nose piercing was not acceptable and it cracked me up. Also, this particular Haitian friended me on facebook and immediately proceeded to go through my photos . . . he actually called me fat in one of them! I'm not even kidding. Haha, it cracked me up . . . but only slightly.
     Haitians also have a fascination with clean shoes. I don't comprehend this but hey, not my culture so that's okay. Also, some of them do not like white people because of their skin color. I've had Haitians ask to marry me because I'm white and American but I've also had some tell me that they would never want to marry a white girl (not that I had even asked . . . ). Also, they literally put mayo and hot sauce on anything they get to chance to. Even on crepes. Another culturally Haitian thing? The belief that 1) pregnancy can last up to 2 years, 2)vampires, zombies, etc., really do exist, and 3) that Haiti will improve with time. The first two are comically and strange but the third conviction is what will eventually get Haiti back on its' feet.
    P.s: my computer has completely and utterly died on me. So! I will be updating when possible and let y'all stay updated. Oh, tomorrow I go to an orphanage and I'm excited!
    Hope all is well,
xxLeah

No comments:

Post a Comment