Saturday, July 26, 2014

So Close, So Far Away

     When people told me that going to Haiti: 1) for the first time alone and 2) for an extended stay was crazy, I didn't believe them. Now? I totally believe them. It is insanity to visit a country like Haiti which you don't know for over a month but thankfully God put some even crazier people in my life down here. It wasn't long before I met Hannah, Mickey, Liz, and Becca. Each of these woman played a pivotal role in my time in Haiti--I've been shown God's heart for this country through their actions.
     The first few times I went to the malnourished children's clinic and the two orphanages I visited here it was . . . difficult. But then again not. I felt so disconnected from these dying children that I just didn't care. After all, I would be home soon-- living in luxury once again. But here's the thing. That solid wall of not caring was just a facade and it took one little girl to break it: Venessa (pictured to the right). Venessa was a very sick baby girl who, without Mickey and Liz's clinic and Real Hope For Haiti, would have died. It took Venessa peeing on me for my heart to be opened to her--and she still hasn't left. Now when I see the kids, I see her. I wonder how many of these children will grow up "normal" yet the odds aren't in their favor. But I hope anyway. And I can hope because of the work being done in Haiti by organizations such as Children's Health Ministries, Real Hope For Haiti, partnerships with local orphanages, and so many others.
     But now it's time for my crazy time here to end and for me to return to America--land of the fat (but maybe still unhealthy) children. Of course I plan to do the almost-mandatory-third-world-country-closet-cleanout upon my arrival home. More than that though, I plan to be more aware of my resources and how I can help others with them. What I'll take away to push me harder is the simple memory of the kid's faces. When I don't want to finish out school strong, don't want to clean, want to complain about first-world problems (be honest, we all do it)--I'll remember them and do the right thing (even though I'm sure I'll fail many times) because they won't ever have the chance to do these things. I'll fight a little stronger for the orphaned, widows, and children.
    Haiti, so close to America, is still so far away in almost every way possible. But like I said, I harbor a flame of hope for Haiti because of all the good I've seen down here. It hasn't all been good though--there is much evil going on simultaneously. But here's the thing: the devil is working so hard to push back against the good because he sees it as a threat--as is correct. Haiti's got a long and difficult road to haul but I wouldn't bet against her.

No comments:

Post a Comment