Sunday, July 27, 2014

There And Back Again: The Journey Home

     But where is home? As I prepare to leave Haiti ( I have one clinic day left) some thoughts rush through my mind like a tidal wave: will I be able to adjust?--yes--, will I do the 'mandatory' closet-cleaning?--yes--,will I miss the people I've met in Haiti?--YES--, am I excited to be home?--yes--, will I miss Haiti itself--. . . that's where I start to stutter.
     Will I miss Haiti itself? . . . Honestly? I don't know. I promise that I will miss the amazing relationships I've forged from adults to babies since I've been here. But let me take you on a bunny-trail, dear reader, to explain why I might not miss Haiti itself. A few weeks ago, Becca (a fellow 21-yr old and the girl in the photo with me) came and joined me at Mickey's and Liz's. Quickly, we created a relationship that was based on being in a mutual location but it continued since I genuinely enjoyed her company. And, if you know me, that's saying something because I don't actively dislike people but I don't often like them. As I got to know Becca, her heart for Haiti burned bright. She loves Haiti and knows that this country is part of her future.
     . . . So, Becca loved Haiti and here I was serving but not feeling my heart break for the country. Was something wrong with me? Obviously no. What I've realized is that everywhere has needs. Everywhere. So, Becca's heart is for Haiti and mine for somewhere else. And that's okay. I don't think I'll be in America for always and I don't think I'll be in Haiti. But I do now understand that I am perfectly fine with living in a third world country--and that opens up so many possibilities. God has a country for my heart and I simply need to follow His plan to find it. I'm excited.
     That's my answer to whether I'll miss Haiti or not. Make of it what you will.
     This will likely be my last blog post before I return home. Thank you to those who have read my thoughts --be it once or regularly. And, as always, I hope you have a wonderful day:)

xxLeah

P.s: want to know something weird? My ears smell like cheese to me and I don't know why.
P.p.s: if you still want to donate to Brisley (read July 15th post if you want to know his story) go to: http://www.gofundme.com/hopeforbrisley

No comments:

Post a Comment